Gray County History

 

 

Texas Historical Markers in Gray County

*Recorded Texas Historical Landmark

 

**Texas Historical Cemetary
#National Register of Historic Places District, 2000

1. Peter W. Gray, 1819-1876--NE corner Gray County Courthouse, Francis Ave. & Russell

Virginia born Peter W. Gray, for whom Gray County was named, came to Texas 1838 to aid in removal of Texas Shawnees. Served as officer in the Milam guards, Texas Republic. He was a political and cultural leader in Texas and a Confederacy treasury secretary for sector west of the Mississippi, Confederate Marker, 1964.

2. 50th Aniversary Marker--South of Courthouse, Kingsmill Ave

Early county history is summarized on marker: Coronado's exploration in 1541, Josiah Gregg's view of the buffs near Lefors in 1840, the 1852 expedition of Marcy and McClennan, General Ranald S McKenzie's surprise attack on Comanches in 1872, General Nelson A. Miles' rescue of Julia and Adelaide German from Gray Beard's Cheyennes in 1874, establishment of Fort Elliot in 1875. County history included naming of Gray County in 1876, organization in 1902, movement of county seat from Lefors to Pampa in 1928.

3. *Pampa --1 Albert Square, City Hall, Foster St.

In 1888 a telegraph station was erected at Glasgow on the southern Kansas Railroad line.  It was renamed Sutton a year later, and in 1892 was named Pampa by George Tyng, who compared the area to the "pampas" or plains of Argentina.  James L. Gray laid out the town in 1902.  Texas Sesquicentennial marker, *1986.

4. *#Gray County Courthouse --205 N. Russll

Erected after county seat moved to Pampa from Lefors in 1928.  Built by Harland L. Case, first boy born in Pampa.  The "v" instead of "u" in the inscription was from the ancient Roman alphabet and was typically used on Texas Courthouses.  $5 million restoration completed in 2004.  Marker dates *1997, #2000.

5. *#Pampa City Hall --200 W. Foster

The two-story building with raised basement complements the Courthouse and the fire station. Completed in 1930, the exterior features pilasters from the first floor to entablature that create 11 bays on the east and west and five on the north and south. *1986, #2000.

6. #Central Fire Station --203 W. Foster

The two-story building was built on the site of Pampa's first fire station, erected in 1919, the year before the volunteer fire department was formed. The station was completed in 1930. #2000.

7. #Schneider House Apartments --120 South Russell

Alex Schneider of Switzerland purchased the Holland Hotel in 1912, located across the street at McCarley Park. In 1927 he built the Schneider Hotel, known for elegant meals and guest performances as Bob Willis, Hank Thompson, Tex Ritter and Guy Lombardo. In 1987 the building was remodeled into apartments. #1985.

8. *#White Deer Land Museum --116 S. Cuyler

Is the last headquarters of the White Deer Land Co. (1886-1957), organized after English bondholders foreclosed on the Francklyn Land and Cattle Co., formed in 1882 with some 631,000 acres in what became Gray, Roberts, Carson and Hutchinson Counties. The company was a strong influence in settlement of the area. The firm managers were George Tyng, T.D. Hobart, C.P. Buckler and M.K. Brown. In 1970 the museum was organzied. The adjacent Holland Wing at 112 S. Cuyler was remodeled in 1995. The annex at 124 S. Cuyler was acquired in 1988 and remodeled in 2007. *1970, #2000.

9. *#Combs-Worley Building--120 W. Kingsmill

Completed in 1931, the building housed the Combs-Worley ranch and oil interests and Pampa professions and businesses. It features modern art deco, a marble foyer and one of the first Pampa elevators. *1998, #2000.

10. *First National Bank--100 N. Cuyler

Founded in 1906, the bank was named First State Bank, then became First National Bank after receiving the national charter in 1907. B.E. Finley served as president until his death in 1934. The building has ornamental bas relief that included two large eagles. It became Boatman's First in 1995 and in 1999 Bank of America *1989.

11. *Vittorio Emanuel von Brunow, M.D. & Gerald Sander's bronze --101 S. Cuyler

The area's first doctor, Dr. von Brunow (1862-1941) was born in S. Carolina, educated in Vienna and Warsaw, and returned to the U.S. in 1892. He came to Pampa in 1903, erected a frame house on this site from which he operated his medical practice, a drugstore, and at one time, the telephone and post offices. With the oil boom, he built a red brick building in 1926 and lived in the second-story with rooftop garden. The building later housed stores until it burned in 1981. He served Pampa 38 years, delivering many babies. *1998.

12. *Pampa Post Office Building--120 E. Foster

A Post Office was established in 1892 at the Southern Kansas Railroad station house. The 7th and present building was erected 1933-34 by the WPA. Limestone carvings depict the agrarian-petroleum based economy: plow, wheat, oil. Of Spanish colonial design, the interior ceiling has vigas with Indian designs in gold leaf. *1992.

13. *First Methodist Church--Foster & Ballard Streets

Five charter members organized the first denomination church in Pampa, Sept. 29, 1906. They built a one-room white church with steeple in 1908. In 1924 they bought this church site. This was a typical basement church until the new santuary was completed in 1928. *1996.

14. *Pioneer Cottage--Atchison & Cuyler Streets

The two-room frame house was built in 1903 by Wiley and Katie Vincent. It was moved back near the original location as a Gray County Centennial project by the City of Pampa. Furnishings by White Deer Land Museum, Gray County Historical Commission, Las Pampas Chapter of DAR. *1970.

15. *The Woody Guthrie Folk Music Center--320 S. Cuyler Street

American folk musician "Woody" Guthrie (1912-1967) moved to Pampa when he was 17 and learned to play the guitar. Well-read, he was a poet lyricist and folk balladeer. He went to California in 1937 and on to New York City in 1940, where he was recognized for his songs as "This Land Is Your Land." 2002.

16. **Fairview Cemetery--1500 Duncan Street

The Historic Texas Cemetery marker was awarded during Fairview's centennial year. The first burial was of C.B. Dobbs, 8/23/1904. Over 12,000 were buried in the cemetery at the time fo the centennial. **2005.

Area

17. Gray County Marker--U.S. Hwy. 60, two miles east of Pampa

Recognized the creation of Gray County from Young and Bexar Territories in 1876 and the official organization of the county in 1902. County named in honor of Peter W. Gray (see Marker #1). 1936 Centennial Marker.

18. *Pampa Army Air Force Base--11 miles est of Pampa, SH 152

Construction of the air force began June 1942, to train pilots and support personnel for WWII. In November 1942, the first planes and aviation cadets arrived. The base closed September 30, 1945, after three years of operation and the training of 6,292 aviation cadets and 3,500 mechanics. *1982.

19. *Big Springs-Lefors--FM 2375, 0.2 miles west of Lefors

Native Americans and military forces long camped near the oasis. In 1852 U.S. Capt. Randolph B. Marcy's expedition camped here June 16 when in search of the Red River Headwaters. Lt. Frank Baldwin and U.S. troops fought Cheyenne Chief Grey Beard's forces near the vicinity in 1874. The flow has dramatically decreased due to nearby development. *2006.

20. Lt. Frank D. Baldwin's Attack (McClellan Creek Battle)--Lefors City Park, spur 398 off State Hwy. 273

Ten Miles southwest of site Lt. Frank D. Baldwin, commanding two companies of U.S. Troops, attacked Cheyenne Indiams and rescued two white girl captives November 8, 1874. 1936 Centennial Marker.

21. *Battle of the North Fork of Red River--FM 1321, 6 miles southeast of Lefors

September 9, 1872 Col. Ranald S. Mackenzie (1840-89) routed a 262 teppee Comanche village in a surprise attack. In another surprise, the Indians recaptured their horses that night, which taught Mackenzie a crucial lesson that helped him subdue the Indians in the 1874-75 campaign. 1936 Centennial Marker.

22. *First Methodist Church--219 N. Gray, McLean

Congregation was organized in the early 1900s and is thought to be the oldest permanent denominational church site in Gray County. Methodists first met in a one-room school house until the first building was constructed on the present sire in 1904. *Texas Sesquicentennial 1986.

23. *Prisoner of War Camp, McLean--2 miles east of McLean, IH-40, exit #146, 1 mile north on County Road 5280

Construction began September 1941, and American militart personnel and German prisoners arrived July 1943. Included about 30 buildings. By October 1944, the camp exceeded its capacity of 3,000 prisoners. The townspeople befriended the military. Some of the prisoners assisted local farmers during labor shortages. Camp closed July 1945. *1997.

24. *Eldridge Post Office--FM 291, 4.5 miles north of Alanreed

First post office in Gray County was established March 20, 1886, saving ranchers horse travel to Clarendon or Mobeetie. In 1888 Eldridge moved one mile north and 1/2 mile west near blacksmith shop on McClellan creek. In 1902 it moved south to the railroad and Eldridge became Alanreed. *1978

25. Indian Battlefield--Entrance to Lake McClellan, 17 miles south of Pampa on SH 70, east 4 miles on FM 2477

North of the marker is the battlefield location where Lt. Frank D. Baldwin with two companites of U.S. troops rescued two white girl captives on November 8, 1874. 1936 Centennial marker.

26. *George B. McClellan--18 miles south of Pampa--SH70, 5 miles east on FM 2477 at Lake Mc Clellan Recreation Park Entrance

McClellan (1826-1885) ws a West Pointe Graduate, Mexican War Veteran, U.S. Army engineer, member of Randolph B. Marcy's exploration of the Texas Panhandle, 1852. Later Union General in Civil War, ran against Lincoln for president 1864, served as Governor of New Jersey, 1878-18881. Invented the McClellan sadle, echibited at White Deer Land Museum. *1996

Another historical marker will be added daily for 1 more days. Check back often to find out more about history in Gray County!